Prayer about the crime, violence, and corruption in South Africa
(Guidelines Supplied by Jericho Walls International Prayer Network)
During the time of Noah, mankind had filled the earth with violence (Gen 6:5-13). The corrupted ways of mankind grieved the heart of God and He decided to intervene through the flood. Jesus prophesied that before His return to earth, it will be again “…as in the days of Noah…” (Luke 17:26). He also warned that when lawlessness increase, the love of many will grow cold (Matt 24:12). However, Jesus gave Himself for us, to redeem us from all lawlessness (Tit 2:14). Let us humble ourselves and ask again for a Divine Intervention in our times.
How to use these guidelines.
This is just a guideline. Pray as the Holy Spirit leads you. Read through the prayer points once or a few times. Allow the Holy Spirit to burden you to stand still at one or more of the prayer points. Take time and pray through them. Read the scripture references and pray through them as well. When praying a blessing over your community, or when making a proclamation include the name of your community, city, or country.
Draw near to the Throne of Grace with confidence…
1. Present yourself before the Throne as an instrument of righteousness (Rom 6:13)
2. Appeal to the Judge of all the earth to intervene and break the cycle of violence, hatred, and revenge (Gen 18:25)
3. Allow the Holy Spirit to search your heart and confess also on behalf of all South Africans the following:
- Abortion (abortion is the murder of the innocent and it opens a spiritual door for violence and bloodshed in a society);
- Violent crime causing bloodshed (armed robberies, murder);
- Murder of families, children, and elderly;
- Divorce (an act of violence – Mal 2:16);
- Sexual violence against women and children (rape, assault, sexual harassment, prostitution) and incest in families;
- Domestic violence (verbal, physical, and emotional abuse);
- Corruption of moral values causes violence (Gen 6:12-13)
- Confess on behalf of all South Africans the following factors contributing to crime, violence, and corruption: Greed, anger, sexual lust, lust for power, alcoholism, drug abuse, gambling (lottery, etc.), stealing, and fraud. (Gambling is idolatry and it opens a spiritual door for corruption and crime in society – Isa.65:11-12)
- Pray for the Blood of Jesus to cleanse the sins of the people of South Africa and to speak forgiveness (Heb.12:24).
- Pray for the Lord Jesus Christ to deliver South Africa from criminals, violent and corrupt people and for their salvation (2 Sam.22:3, 49; Isa.59:1-16; Prov.29:26; Mic.7:2-7).
- Pray for the Lord Jesus Christ to redeem the lives of victims of violence, and corruption and to comfort them (Ps.72:14; Hab.1:2; Ezek.34:16).
- Pray that believers will separate themselves from anything and anyone that contribute violence, crime and corruption and walk in holiness (Ps.17:4; Jer.22:3, 13-17; Ezek 22:26; Mal.1:13).
- Pray for righteous punishment for those who practice crime, violence, and corruption (Zeph.1:9; Prov.21:15; Jer.10:24).
- Pray for the spirit of fear to be broken and to be replaced with the fear of the Lord (Jer.51:47; 2 Chron.19:7).
- Pray for the human and demonic networks of violence, crime and corruption to be broken and to be exposed (Prov.3:31; 16:29; Jam.3:15-16).
- Pray for a spirit of prayer and repentance to be poured out on us so that South Africa will turn back to the Living God (Jonah 3:8).
- Pray for faithfulness in marriages and families (Mal.2:16).
- Pray for justice to be restored in South Africa (Ex 23:2; Ps 10:17, 18 [18, 19]).
- Pray for the voice of God to be heard from the Church concerning violence and justice (Ps.72:2; Prov 2:6-9; Matt.5:16).
- Pray for every believer in every sphere of society to walk in righteousness and justice (Ezek.18:5-9; Mic.6:8; Col.3:5-7).
- Pray for the Church to faithfully wait on the Lord Jesus and to pray until He restores justice (Hos.12:6; Luke 18:3-7).
- Pray for the Church to do everything to ensure that justice is enforced in this nation (Heb.11:33; Jam.1:17).
- Pray for the favor of the Most High God in South Africa (Deut 32:4; Jer 7:5-8; Prov.14:34).
- Pray for God’s Kingdom to be established and His Will to be done in our nation.
Blessings and Proclamations to the community
"The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace." (Numbers 6:24-26)
"I will make you into a great nation and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse, and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you." (Genesis 12:2-3)
May God be gracious to us and bless us and make his face shine upon us, that your ways may be known on earth, your salvation among all nations. (Psalm 67:2-3)
Let your light so shine before men that they may see your moral excellence and your praiseworthy, noble, and good deeds and recognize and honor and praise and glorify your Father Who is in heaven (Mt.5:16).
To shine upon and give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to direct and guide our feet in a straight line into the way of peace (Lk.1:79).
Proclaim the following in the Name of the Lord over the nation:
For this purpose, the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil (1Jn.3:8).
We declare that the weapons of our warfare have divine powers to destroy strongholds, arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God (2 Co.10:5-6).
We declare that Jesus Christ had disarmed the principalities and powers on the cross (Col.2:13-15).
The God of peace will soon crush Satan under our feet (Rom.16:20).
We will stand against the evil clothed in God’s armor: Belt of Truth, Breastplate of Righteousness, Helmet of Salvation, and Preparation for the Gospel of Peace (Eph.6:10-18).
We declare: Greater is He that is in us, than he that is in the world (1Jn.4:4).
We will extinguish the fiery darts of the evil one with our shield of faith. Eph.6:16
We will take up the sword of the Spirit, the Word of God as we pray and advance into the territory of the enemy (Eph.6:17-18).
We declare that we have been given authority over all the power of the enemy (Luk.10:19).
We will overcome because of the blood of the Lamb and by the word of our testimony, and because we do not love our lives to death (Rev.12:11).
We ask now, Father, in the Name of Jesus Christ, make known Your manifold wisdom through us, the church, to the principalities and powers in our nation, as we confess that Jesus Christ is King of Kings and Lord of lords (Eph.3:10; Phil.2:10; Rev.19:16).
Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord! (Ps.33:12).
Let Your Kingdom come, establish Your righteousness and justice (Lk.11:2; Is.9:7).
God’s saving power will be made known in our nation (Ps.67:2).
God will remove the veil of sin and ignorance over this nation (Isa.25:7).
We declare Jesus had been given the name above all names, and at the name of Jesus every knee shall bow and every tongue confesses that Jesus is Lord (Phil.2:10-11).
Prayer about the crime, violence, and corruption in South Africa (Download)
Gebedspunte oor Misdaad, Geweld en Korrupsie (Download)