Community Development Workshop
What is Community Development?
Community Development involves a sustainable, well designed and structured process aimed at improving conditions in a specific community by means of a facilitator or change agent that facilitates a process. This is usually a person that is trained and equipped with the necessary skills and knowledge to perform this task. We, therefore, would like to see Community Development as a structured approach that distinguishes itself from similar but less structured processes. The involvement of the community during all the stages is a key factor in the process.
What is the workshop all about?
The workshop was designed to help churches and organizations to bring about positive change in their communities. The workshop, and therefore the workbook can be tailor-made and simplified for churches, community organizations, and individuals according to their needs. The workshop will help you to avoid some of the common pitfalls in the process.
This workbook was compiled as a guide to be used during a training session. It is not intended as a stand-alone manual but it can give direction to a discussion on the topic. It is not an academic workbook although the information was sourced from the academic literature on the topic, and supplemented by personal experience. Each module has handouts and practical excesses. Following is an outlay of the content of some of the modules.
- Module 1 What is community development and what is the major constructs of community development?
- Module 2 Defining Community Development. The implications of Community Development. Community Development vs. Social Development.
- Module 3 Purpose, Goals, and Objectives of Community Development. Implications of the Community Development Strategy.
- Module 4 When is the Community Development Approach most applicable?
- Module 5 Roles of the Community Development Agents.
- Module 6 The Strategy for Community Development: Step 1: Situation Analysis; Step 2: Identity and Analyze the Impediments.
- Module 7 The strategy for Community Development: Step 3: Formulate a Plan of Action; Step 4: Implement the plan of Action; Step 5: Evaluate
Community Development Project - KwaNobuhle Township
For more resources on food gardens visit our page here