Pray for Africa
As Christians from all the corners of the world we all have a gift to give to Africa. That special gift is prayer. It is a privilege given to us. Through prayer we can petition God for the people of Africa. We want to encourage you to pray for Africa, and it's people. This page highlights basic facts about Africa, and prayer initiatives that have Africa at heart.
On this page are directions for prayer compiled by Intercessors for Africa and the South African Prayer Movement for Change. These guidelines were compiled over the past year or two but are still very relevant for current and future directions for prayer. The focus is not on South Africa only.
Guidelines formulated here need to be red with the scripture references. Allow God to minister to you as you read and meditate on it. If a certain guideline or scripture interpretation is not clear move on to next one and concentrate on those guidelines that speaks to your heart.
How to raise an altar of prayer in your community
· Declare Psalm 24:1-2 – confirm ownership of place to Jehovah
· Give thanks, praise, honour and glory to God – offer a sacrifice of praise, the fruit of lips that confess His name – Hebrews 13:15
· Bring repentance before God for anything that could have grieved or offended Him on that land/place of altar by any people past or present – Leviticus 26:40
· Renounce any agreements made with the kingdom of darkness known or unknown to you; break any negative covenants with evil spirits – Proverbs 28:13
· Bring the atonement of the blood of Jesus and reconcile it and the people to the Lord – Colossians 1:20
· Blot out all handwriting the enemy has in the heavens, water or on the earth against the place/people –Colossians 2:14
· Bind every evil spirit previously invited and command them to leave – James 4:7-8, Philippians 2:10
· Loose those who have been taken captive by it
· Proclaim Psalm 24:7-8 and invite the King of Glory to come and establish His throne in that place
· Connect the altar to the altar of the Lamb of God in heaven – Revelation 5, 8
· Declare the Lordship of Jesus Christ and submit everything to His rulership. Read Isaiah 9:6-7 and ask Him to increase daily His government over that place/people
· Blow the shofar
· Take communion and make a covenant with the Lord
· Use oil sanctified for the purpose to anoint the place
Prophetic Direction (Compiled by Intercessors for Africa -EC)
Intercessors for Africa is a ministry that seeks to teach, train and mobilize the church to prayer and intercession for the African nations, Africans in diaspora and our generation to see the fulfillment of God’s agenda for nations.
A YEAR OF HARVEST
“Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life” Galatians 6:7-8.
2013 will be a year to reap the harvest of what has been sown in previous years, whether positive or negative This refers to every aspect of our lives including our finances and our prayers.
“He who continually goes forth weeping, bearing seed for sowing, shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him” Psalm 126:5-6
There are those who have sown in tears continually over these last years. Now they will reap in joy. This will be especially so in the matter of those who have sown God’s word into the lives of family, work mates, friends etc. and have sown their finances into the work of God’s kingdom, the poor and the needy.
“Do you not say, 'There are still four months and then comes the harvest'? Behold, I say to you, lift up your eyes and look at the fields, for they are already white for harvest!” John 4:35
The call to bring in the harvest of souls will sound louder with every passing day and believers will become God’s harvesters as in answer to prayer workers are thrust out into His harvest field, to the degree that the reaper will overtake the one who sows (Amos 9:13). This will bring great joy not only in heaven (Luke 15:10) but also in the hearts of believers, restoring even to them the joy of His salvation in their own lives (Psalm 51:12), as they become co-workers with Christ in His kingdom (1 Corinthians 3:9a).
THE LATTER AND FORMER RAIN WILL FALL TOGETHER
“Be glad then you children of Zion, and rejoice in the Lord your God; For He has given you the former rain faithfully, and He will cause the rain to come down for you – the former rain, and the latter rain in the first month” Joel 2:23
In 2012 especially we have sown to the heavens diligently and consistently in prayer. The incense bowls have been filled and the rain will begin to fall causing acceleration in growth as the Sun of Righteousness arises over the nation with healing in His wings (Malachi 4:2).
“Therefore if anyone cleanses himself from the latter, he will be a vessel for honour, sanctified and useful for the Master, prepared for every good work. “ 2 Timothy 2:21
Where vessels have been prepared for the Lord there will be a fresh infilling and anointing of the Holy Spirit causing the river of God to flow from their lives meeting the needs of those who are dry and thirsty. As the year continues the river of God will begin to flow through the nation with increasing depth from ankle to knee to waist to a flood and as it flows into the sea of people it will bring with it healing (Ezekiel 47:3-8).
THE CALL TO WAR
“Proclaim this among the nations: Prepare for war! Wake up the mighty men, let all the men of war draw near. Let them come up” Joel 3:9
There will be an intensity of the spiritual battle in 2013. The battle will be between the kingdom of darkness and the kingdom of Light as their agents contest for the souls of men, resources, government and who will rule on the earth. This is not a year for playing church or being a nominal Christian. The battle lines are drawn and those who are caught between the two will become casualties.
“To Him who loved us and washed us from our sins in His own blood,
and has made us kings and priests to His God and Father, to Him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.” Revelation 1:5b-6
“And they sang a new song, saying: "You are worthy to take the scroll, And to open its
seals; For You were slain, And have redeemed us to God by Your blood Out of every
tribe and tongue and people and nation, And have made us kings and priests to our
God; And we shall reign on the earth." Revelation 5:9-10
In 2013 the Holy Spirit will teach us how to be what Christ has already made us – kings and priests to our God, and we will reign with him on earth enforcing defeat firstly on our own fleshly desires and then on Satan and his agents as we execute the judgment written on Calvary – It is finished! Satan’s time to rule the earth is over! (Psalm 149:9). Principalities and powers of darkness will begin to learn the manifold wisdom of God through the church (Ephesians 3:10).
THE CHURCH TRANSITIONS TO BECOME THE ARMY OF THE LORD
“They run like mighty men of war; everyone marches in formation, and they do not break ranks, they do not push one another, everyone marches in his own column. Though they lunge between the weapons they are not cut down………….The Lord gives voice before His army, for His camp is very great; For strong is the One who executes His word” Joel 2:7-8, 11
It is time for every believer to fall into his proper rank and place in the army of the Lord. The time to fight and wound one another has come to an end. The Lord is giving us marching orders and all we must do is obey. He is the Lord of Hosts and we must take His instructions. The Mighty Warrior, the Lion of Judah who dwells within us, will make us a mighty warrior also.
“Now it shall come to pass in the latter days that the mountain of the LORD's house Shall be established on the top of the mountains, And shall be exalted above the hills; And all nations shall flow to it.” Isaiah 2:2
It is time to possess the land and the giants must be faced and overthrown in every sphere of society until the mountain of the Lord’s house is exalted over every other mountain.
JUDGMENT ON THE WICKED
“Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for Him; Do not fret because of him who
prospers in his way, Because of the man who brings wicked schemes to pass. Cease
from anger, and forsake wrath; Do not fret—it only causes harm. For evildoers shall be
cut off; But those who wait on the LORD, They shall inherit the earth. For yet a little
while and the wicked shall be no more; Indeed, you will look carefully for his place,
But it shall be no more. But the meek shall inherit the earth, And shall delight
themselves in the abundance of peace.” Psalm 37:7-11
It has appeared over the past years that the wicked have been prospering advancing their
wickedness while the righteous struggle. This year the tables are turning and we will see what He
did in Israel during their time in Egypt when God separated His own people as He judged the
Egyptians (Exodus 8:22). This will give us opportunity to show God’s mercy and grace to our
enemies (Matthew 5:44) as they recognise that it is “the finger of God” (Exodus 9:19).
A YEAR OF RESTORATION OF THE YEARS THE LOCUST HAS EATEN
"So I will restore to you the years that the swarming locust has eaten, The crawling
locust, The consuming locust, And the chewing locust, My great army which I sent
among you. You shall eat in plenty and be satisfied, And praise the name of the LORD
your God, Who has dealt wondrously with you; And My people shall never be put to
shame.” Joel 2:25-26
This year will also see restoration of the years that the enemy has stolen. Even in the lives of unbelievers who will come to Christ in this season, there will be a swift transformation due to diligent discipleship (Matthew 28:19-20). God will restore the wasted years of their lives as they align with God’s plan and purpose and will wipe away the shame of those years.
PRAYER POINTS FOR BUILDING A RIGHTEOUS NATION
“Righteousness and justice are the foundations of His throne” Psalm 97:2b
Gather the Burden Bearers
“And the LORD said to him, "Go through the midst of the city, through the midst of Jerusalem, and put a mark on the foreheads of the men who sigh and cry over all the abominations that are done within it." Ezekiel 9:4
· Throughout South Africa there are those who have already been ‘marked’ by the Lord because of their burden for the nation. Ask God to help us to find one another in our villages, towns, cities and provinces. Practically yourself seek them out and share about the Prayer Movement.
· Ask God to raise up servant leaders with a grace to gather the saints across barriers that divided us in the past (racial and denominational) – Psalm 50:5, Gal 3:28, Eph 4:4-6
Call Fivefold Ministers to Repentance
“He will sit as a refiner and a purifier of silver; He will purify the sons of Levi, And purge them as gold and silver, That they may offer to the LORD An offering in righteousness.” Malachi 3:3
· Pray that men and women of God who lead the church throughout the nation would have a divine encounter with the Head of the church, Jesus Christ – Acts 9:1-6
· Pray for true apostles and prophets to arise in the nation in the humility and authority of Christ to restore the priority of prayer in the church – Mat 21:12-13
· Pray that the fivefold ministers who lead the congregations will also make prayer their personal priority and lead the prayer meetings in the church – Acts 6:1-4
· Pray that around the nation fivefold ministers would gather together to seek God’s will for the nation – Acts 13:1-2
Building a Highway of Holiness
“A highway shall be there, and a road, And it shall be called the Highway of Holiness.
The unclean shall not pass over it, But it shall be for others. Whoever walks the road,
although a fool, Shall not go astray. No lion shall be there, Nor shall any ravenous beast
go up on it; It shall not be found there. But the redeemed shall walk there” Isaiah 35:8-9
· Pray for the restoration of the place of the word of God in the church. God has exalted His word even above His name – Psalm 138:2, Mat 24:35, 1 Peter 1:24-25, Mat 4:4
· Pray for a new diligence to study the truth of God’s word to sanctify the believers – John 17:17
· Pray the believers would understand that holiness is not an option but essential for every believer – 1 Peter 1:15-16, Hebrews 12:14
· Pray for believers to grow from being children to maturity that they may be skilled in the word of righteousness and able to discern the clean from the unclean Hebrews 12:13-14
Building a Righteous Nation
“And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some
pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the
edifying of the body of Christ” Ephesians 4:11-12
· Every church is meant to be built on “the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone” Ephesians 2:20. Pray for realignment of the church in South Africa wherever the foundation is faulty.
· Pray for fivefold ministers to have a renewed understanding of their calling to equip all members of their congregation for the work of the ministry
· Pray for apostolic and prophetic teachers to rise up in the nation who understand the times and know what God wants to do in this season – 1 Chronicles 12:32
· Pray for the teaching ministry to take more prominence in the church in this year and specifically to disciple the nation in righteousness.
Restoration of Justice in SA
“For the LORD is our Judge, The LORD is our Lawgiver, The LORD is our King; He will save us” Isaiah 33:22
· Thank God that we have a Chief Justice who knows and fears the Lord, Moegoeng Moegoeng, Pray for God’s protection over him, his wife and his children.
· Pray for the grace, truth and light of the Lord Jesus Christ that are so evident in His life will permeate the whole of the Judiciary. Pray that the wisdom of heaven would be his daily portion James 3:17. Pray for the success of the changes that he introduces.
· Pray for the SA Judiciary Institute that it will equip our judges to be the best not only in law itself but in integrity and righteousness.
· Pray that judges would resist every invitation and temptation to become corrupt.
· Pray that justice would become available for even the poorest in the villages.
God Fearing Leaders in Government in South Africa
“That they may be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that He may be glorified." Isaiah 61:3b
· Pray for the Josephs, the Daniels, the Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego’s of this generation, who have been prepared by the Lord to come into key positions
· Pray for the church to envision and equip the saints for ministry in the marketplace
· Pray for the Kingdom Governance Movement that has been started to rapidly grow, uniting Christians with a vision to bring righteousness into government
“Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a reproach to any people.”
SA Prayer Movement for Change
National Office: 12 St Matthews Road, East London 5201
Gauteng Office: 147 Linden Road, Sandown 2196
Tel: 084 753 1538
Intercessors for Africa-Eastern Cape
Tel: 043 733 8494
Visit our prayer events page here for more information about local and other international prayer events.